Those of us who are superstitious usually take extra care if the 13th of the month falls on a Friday. But this November, it may be Friday the 12th you should be weary of.
Burglaries increase by 34% during the darker months.
Sarah Khan, Head of Churchill home insurance said: “This analysis highlights a worrying trend in burglaries as the nights get longer, so we really encourage people to take extra care, especially around November 12. The clocks going back gives burglars plenty of opportunities to operate under the cover of darkness.”
Keep your home safe this crime night
Putting precautions in place could help protect your home. There are a few things that can be done to reduce the risk of a break-in to your home:
- Ensure your windows and doors are locked when leaving the house and if you have an alarm, use it.
- Don’t leave valuable items on display. Keep them safe and hidden.
- Lock gates and keep tools and ladders hidden. Many thieves are opportunists and may use these to get into your home.
- Avoid advertising your absence on social media.
- If you do not have them already, consider installing external lights which may deter thieves at night.
Have thieves damaged your property?
If your home has been left damaged after a break-in, Aspray can help. Call 0800 077 6705 to speak with our experienced claims handling team.